Cultural and humanitarian cooperation between Ukraine and China
Cultural and humanitarian cooperation between Ukraine and China is aimed to implement artistic projects, educative campaigns and other forms of exchanges between Ukraine and China. Cooperation in the Humanitarian field is one of the priority directions of bilateral relations.
The main mechanism of regulation, monitoring and control in this area is the Subcommision on Cooperation in the Cultural field. First and Second Commission in the Cultural field took place on 2002 and 2009. The parties signed Cooperation Plans for 2002-2006 and 2009-2012. Within the scope of their implementation the Days of Ukrainian culture in China were held in 2002 and 2004, the Days of Chinese culture in Ukraine were held in 2010 and 2011. On April 2011 the Commission has been replaced by the Subcommision on Cooperation in the Cultural field. First Subcommittee meeting was held on November 2011.
The 4th Subcommision on Cooperation in the Cultural field is to be held in 2017 in Beijing.
Embassy of Ukraine to the People’s Republic of China on permanent basis practices organization and holding of such activities:
- cultural and artistic exhibitions (painting, drawing, etc.);
- round tables on topical issues regarding Ukraine;
- film screenings, lectures for students of Chinese Universities;
- presentation of famous Ukrainian bands of classical and popular music, including meetings with Chinese producers, negotiations between Ukrainian and Chinese art managers, artists, etc;
- celebration of festive events and holding of memorial days of Ukraine together with local government representatives and social activists.
A significant rise of Chinese interest to the Ukrainian culture and society promoted to organize a number of events:
1) Embassy of Ukraine held charity event “Love knows no boundaries, warm hearts beat in unison”, which was attended by more than 15 Chinese companies that have donated warm clothes and electronic toys for Ukrainian orphanages from the damaged regions of Ukraine.
2) On the occasion of International Children's Day, together with Beijing Ukraine Art Gallery “Katiusha” Embassy of Ukraine to the People’s Republic of China organized the Second charity auction of Ukrainian art “Ukrainian beauty”. The funds from the event were sent to family type orphanage houses from the occupied territories.
3) On the occasion of 25th anniversary of Ukraine and in framework of 202nd anniversary of Taras Shevchenko’s birthday new edition of Shevchenko poetry in Chinese translation from Ukrainian language made by famous literary Ge Baoquan was presented in the Embassy of Ukraine in China.
4) An exhibition “The cultural and spiritual origins of the Ukrainian nation. The way from Kyiv to Beijing”, prepared by the National Kyiv-Pechersk Historical and Cultural national park took place in April 2016.
5) Due to the “Vyshyvanka day” (traditional embroidery dress) on the May 19th, initiated by the Embassy of Ukraine in China activity “Wear Vyshyvanka” took place. The first President of Ukraine L.Kravchuk (1991-1993) during his visiting to China and Ukrainian community from cities such as Harbin, Shanghai, Hangzhou and Guangzhou participated into the activity.
6) Together with Cultural Exchange Company “Huaxia Leya” Co., Ltd was organized a masters class “Traditional flower wreath of Ukraine – traditional flower Chinese tea ceremony”.
7) Representatives of the Embassy took place into official opening ceremony of Kharkiv Children Ballet School in Ningbo city directed by Nataliya Rzhevska.
8) In cooperation with Poly Theatre Group and “Dake” Cultural Promotion Group of China Embassy of Ukraine organized a range of performances of A.S. Pushkin State Academic Russian Dramatic theatre of Kharkiv which during a couple of months toured around China.
On September 19-23, 2016 Minister of Culture of Ukraine Mr. Yevhen Nyschuk paid a working visit to the People’s Republic of China and took part in the First Silk Road (Dunhuang) International Cultural EXPO. He also had meetings with his colleagues from other countries.
On September 23, 2016 Taras Shevchenko art museum and exhibition “Immortal glory – a tribute to Taras Shevchenko” were solemnly inaugurated in Beijing in the framework of celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Independence of Ukraine. The exhibition presents engravings of Great Kobzar, courtesy of the Taras Shevchenko Museum in Kyiv, as well as Chinese artists’ works about his life and oeuvres. This art platform was opened on the basis of the memorial complex of the outstanding Chinese artist Li Keran, whose name is known far beyond the country.
On December 16, 2016 on occasion of the 160th anniversary of the birth and 100th anniversary of the death of Ivan Franko, the Embassy acted as co-organizer of the thematic event “Franko’s poetry” in the Center for the Ukrainian studies of the Tianjin University of foreign languages.
In the frame of the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Ukraine and China (January 4, 1992) Embassy is preparing a range of cultural and educational events during 2017.
One of them was organized on January 15, 2017 – concert “Greetings from Ukraine” with famous Ukrainian cellist O.Piriyev in Tianjin Music Hall. The evening program included music by M.Skoryk, Y.Stankovych, C. Debussy, S. Rachmaninoff etc. In addition, guests had the opportunity to enjoy a premiere of Y.Stankovych’s play “Memory from the land of the Lotus”, which he wrote after visiting China a few years ago.